A quick Google search for “fake IDs” returns over a million results. Many of the top search results are websites touting their business of manufacturing and distributing fake driver’s licenses and identification cards. The websites claim that their IDs “even fool experts!” and “pass blacklight tests!” With school is starting for most colleges, many young people will be tempted by the appeal of purchasing a fake ID. Students under the legal drinking age may be drawn by the possibility of being able to buy alcohol or to get into bars and nightclubs that are 21 and over. It may seem easy to get away with using a fake ID, but the reality is that obtaining or using a fake ID is a crime that can have very serious consequences.
Consequences of Buying or Using a Fake ID
The state of Illinois takes fake IDs very seriously. It is illegal to obtain, distribute, use or even possess a fraudulent state ID card or driver’s license, as well as to help anyone else do the same. The state has the authority to suspend or even revoke a person’s driving privileges if they are caught possessing another person’s license or state ID card. This can happen without a conviction.
You could be charged with a Class A Misdemeanor for:
- Letting another person (such as a friend or relative) use your license;
- Claiming another person’s license as your own;
- Possessing a driver’s license or identification card with false information on it;
- Possessing or using falsified documents with the intent of obtaining a fake ID; or
- Altering or attempting to alter a driver’s license or state identification card.
The penalties for a conviction include up to one year in jail and $2,500 in fines. A conviction also becomes a permanent part of your criminal record.
The charges can become even more serious in other situations. Under Illinois law, you could be charged with a Class 4 felony for:
- Possessing a fraudulent driver’s license or ID card which was produced by an entity other than a government office;
- Possessing equipment that can be used to produce an ID designed to mimic a government-issued ID;
- Manufacturing, distributing, or selling fraudulent IDs; or
- Advertising fake IDs.
A conviction could result in a prison sentence of one to three years in jail and fines up to $25,000.
Contact a Knowledgeable Lawyer
If you or your son or daughter has been accused of possessing or attempting to use a fake ID, contact an experienced Kane County criminal defense attorney. At The Law Offices of Brian J. Mirandola, we are equipped to help you protect your rights at every stage of the process. Call 847-488-0889 for a free consultation today.