The Law Office of Brian J. Mirandola


47 DuPage Court, Elgin, IL 60120


Hosting a Christmas Party and Serving Alcohol to Teens?

 Posted on December 27, 2022 in Criminal Defense

Elgin criminal defense attorneySo, you are hosting a holiday party and are serving alcohol to all of your guests. After all, ‘tis the season of giving and you figure what is the harm in having your teenage guests partake in a little holiday eggnog. However, giving alcohol to minors in Illinois is against the law, even if it is happening in the privacy of your home. If you are facing charges of furnishing alcohol to minors you need an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Furnishing Alcohol to Minors

There is zero tolerance in the state of Illinois when it comes to serving alcohol to minors. Depending on the circumstances in which alcohol was provided to a minor, you could face misdemeanor or felony charges that could lead to prison time and hefty fines. Under Illinois law, it is illegal for anyone to sell, give, or deliver alcohol to any person under the age of 21 years. This includes any parent or guardian and anyone who sells alcohol. A parent could also be convicted of this crime if they knowingly allowed the consumption of alcoholic beverages by an underage guest at a private residence or any other private property under the parent’s control.

Legal Consequences of Serving Alcohol to Teens

If you are 21 years or older and give alcohol to a minor at home you could be charged with a Class A misdemeanor which could result in up to one year in jail and up to $2,500 in fines. These penalties increase if someone is injured or dies. If the underage guest ends up driving and causing an accident with injuries or death, you could be looking at a Class 4 felony.  

If you sell or serve alcohol to a minor, it is a Class A misdemeanor and it can include up to one year in jail and a fine of $500 or more. A second offense would carry a fine of $2,000 or more.

You always have the right to defend yourself against any allegations. As the host of a party making sure everything runs smoothly, it is possible that you are not aware that underage children are consuming alcohol at your home. Perhaps you are led to believe that the teenager is old enough to drink alcohol or maybe there is a lack of intent or knowledge.

Contact a Kane County Criminal Defense Lawyer

Whatever the case may be, if you are facing charges of giving underage teens alcohol at your holiday party you need an experienced Elgin, IL criminal defense attorney. At The Law Office of Brian J. Mirandola, we believe you cannot leave your future to chance. Call 847-488-0889 for a free consultation.



Share this post:
Avvo Illinois State Bar Association Kane COunty Bar Association
Back to Top